Read Self-Publisher's Legal Handbook by Helen Sedwick Free Online
Book Title: Self-Publisher's Legal Handbook|
The author of the book: Helen Sedwick
Format files: PDF
The size of the: 12.48 MB
Edition: Ten Gallon Press
Date of issue: June 4th 2014
ISBN: No data
ISBN 13: No data
Read full description of the books Self-Publisher's Legal Handbook:Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook is the first step-by-step guide to the legal issues of self-publishing. Attorney and self-published author Helen Sedwick uses 30 years of legal experience to show writers how to stay out of court and at their desks. She covers a wide range of topics, including:
• Business set-up. From DBAs to sales taxes to crowd-funding, Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook walks writers through the process of setting up their self-publishing ventures.
• Moving from Manuscript to Book. Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook compares the options of engaging a self-publishing service company to doing-it-yourself using a print-on-demand provider. It lists which contract provisions are acceptable and which are not. It explains the mechanics of hiring designers, editors, and other freelancers.
• Intellectual Property Issues. Copyrights, trademark, fair use, and public domain are explained in practical, useful terms, including how to find copyright holders and ask permission. Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook provide tips on licensing images and music for little or no money.
• Internet Regulations. Any writer with a blog needs to know about privacy policies, SPAM, COPPA, and DMCA. Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook explains these regulations in easy-to-understand language.
• Spotting Scams. Writers are e-blasted by businesses promoting overpriced services, if not outright frauds. Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook shows writers how to spot aggressive sales techniques and scams.
• The Scary Stuff. Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook provides guidance on avoiding the dangers of defamation, invasion of privacy, and infringement.
Writing and publishing a book is a significant investment. Writers should not be losing money (and sleep) by hiring the wrong self-publishing company or getting sued for copyright infringement. Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook will help writers safely navigate the legal minefield.
University of Chicago Law School graduate and California attorney, Sedwick has represented small businesses and entrepreneurs for 30 years. Her historical novel Coyote Winds earned five-star reviews from ForeWord Reviews and Compulsion Reads and is an IndieBRAG Medallion Honoree.
Read information about the authorAuthor and University of Chicago Law School graduate, Helen Sedwick has represented small businesses and entrepreneurs for 30 years. Her self-published historical novel Coyote Winds has earned five-star reviews from ForeWord Reviews and is an IndieBRAG Medallion Honoree. Publisher’s Weekly lists her Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook as one of the top five resource books for independent authors. Helen is a member of the Board of Advisors of the Alliance of Independent Authors and a Contributing Writer for TheBookDesigner.com and BookWorks.com. Helen’s blog coaches writers on everything from saving on taxes to avoiding scams. For more information about Helen, check out her website at http://helensedwick.com
From the Author: I grew up in the wilds of New York City before there were coyotes in Central Park. My parents were theater people, and for many summers we operated a summer stock theater in the Poconos. From those theater years and from reading countless books, I fell in love with the power of the story to make us laugh, learn, love and cry. I majored in English at Cornell University and spent several years as an advertising copywriter. When I grew tired of being broke, I attended University of Chicago Law School, then moved to San Francisco where I have practiced business law for almost thirty years and raised my twin daughters.
COYOTE WINDS was inspired by my father's stories of growing up during the Dust Bowl.
My second book SELF-PUBLISHER'S LEGAL HANDBOOK was inspired by self-publishing authors taking control of their creative careers. I want to help writers publish and market their work while minimizing legal risks.
Add a comment to Self-Publisher's Legal Handbook
Read EBOOK Self-Publisher's Legal Handbook by Helen Sedwick Online free